Hambleton and Richmondshire Children’s Speech and Language Therapy

Speech and language therapy service for children who are based across Hambleton and Richmondshire.

Speech and language therapists are based across Hambleton and Richmondshire and provide a service at health clinics. We also offer visits to see children in nurseries, playgroups and at schools.

Services are provided Mondays to Fridays between 9am-4.30pm.

Early years services

If your child is under five years old and you are worried about his or her speech, language and communication/ eating and drinking development you can come along to a drop-in clinic.

Click here to download our drop-in clinic dates for 2019.

School-aged services

There are a variety of options available for school-aged children who have problems with their speech, language, communication and/or eating and drinking. If you’re worried about your child, you can:

  • Refer your child directly by contacting us or completing and sending us the referral form;
  • Speak to a health visitor, school nurse, GP or paediatrician who may refer your child to our service;
  • Speak to staff in your child’s school who may refer your child to our service.

If you are a member of teaching staff referring a child on behalf of parents or carers, you may, with the signed consent of the parents or carers with parental responsibility, complete and send us the below professionals referral form.


Gibraltar House
Thurston Road
North Yorkshire

Specialist speech and language therapy

If your child requires more specialist help, your community speech and language therapist will refer you to a specific service. These services include

  • The Child Development Centre, Northallerton
  • Alverton Early Years Enhanced Mainstream Provision
  • Specialist Stammering Service, Northallerton or other local base
  • Specialist Voice Service, Northallerton or other local base
  • Special Schools Service, Mowbray School, Bedale, and The Dales School, Morton on Swale

Useful links

  • Afasic – a charity which helps young people with speech and language difficulties and their families. The website has a message board where you can chat to other families, and provides free download sheets on a range of diagnoses.
  • British Stammering Association – a first point of contact for information and support on stammering and stuttering.
  • I CAN – a children’s communication charity working to support children with communication difficulties.
  • Makaton – information on Makaton signing, resources and training, as well as a forum for Makaton users to share their experiences..
  • Talk To Your Baby – this Literacy Trust initiative contains free, downloadable parent information leaflets about early interaction.
  • The Communication Trust – this coalition of 50 voluntary and community organisations with expertise in speech, language and communication provides films to help parents encourage their children’s communicative development.