Throughout your stay in hospital, the Pharmacy Team support both you and your clinical team in the management of your medication. When you are admitted to hospital, a pharmacist will review your current medicines and your medication history. They will ensure that you are prescribed medicines at the correct doses, that one medicine will not adversely affect the action of another, and that you are being given the most appropriate medicines for your condition. When you are discharged, we will ensure that you receive an adequate supply of medication to take home.
We work closely with particular departments at the Trust to provide specialist support and advice. We prepare cancer medicines and certain antibiotics in our sterile Aseptics Unit, and run pharmacist-led clinics for patients on oral anticoagulant treatment, patients starting chemotherapy and patients with diabetes who have high blood pressure. We provide information to patients attending surgical pre-assessment clinics. Please note that inpatient medication, ward supplies and discharge prescriptions are made directly to wards and departments.
In addition to this, the Pharmacy Team purchases all medicines used within the Trust and provides a medicines supply service to all wards, departments and clinics in Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital. We provide clinical advice on the use of medicines to healthcare staff, train doctors and nurses on the safe use of medicines, and write medicine-related policies and procedures. We also work closely with the Infection Prevention and Control Team to ensure the most appropriate use of antibiotics and participate in clinical trials and research to ensure the highest possible quality of service and treatment for our patients.
Carers/relatives phone the pharmacy to check they have an adequate quantity of drug before sending someone there. There have been instances where only a small amount has been stocked.
100 hour pharmacies
Kingswood Medical Centre, 14 Wetherby Rd, Harrogate, HG2 7SA – 01423 887733
Boots, Saint James Retail Park, Grimbald Crag Way, Knaresborough, HG5 8PZ – 01423 860197
Morrison’s, Harrogate Rd, Ripon, HG4 2SB – 01765 600827
Pharmacists and technicians visit most inpatient wards in the Hospital, reviewing prescriptions and providing advice to patients and multi-disciplinary teams. We are involved in a variety of ways to ensure that medicines use is safe and effective, including assisting consultant-led ward rounds and diabetic hypertension, pre-assessment and chemotherapy clinics.
A member of the Pharmacy Team is available on the wards for advice should you need it.
If you need our help, please call us on 01423 553084. If no one is available to answer, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. You can also email us at [email protected].
Working with the Haematology Department, pharmacists run clinics to monitor patients on Warfarin and other similar anticoagulants.
If you need advice or wish to make, change, or cancel an appointment at an anticoagulation clinic, please call us on 01423 553085.If no one is available to answer, please leave a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Alternatively, you can send an email to [email protected].
Charges for hospital outpatient prescriptions are applied at the standard NHS rate.
Certain people are eligible for exemption from prescription charges. To find out if you are exempt or for information regarding Prescription Prepayment Certificates, please visit the NHS Business Services Authority website.
Outpatient Pharmacy (LloydsPharmacy):
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: closed
Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays: 10am-1.45pm
Although the Pharmacy Department is not open 24 hours a day, a pharmacist is always available on call for medicines supply and advice that is required urgently.
The LloydsPharmacy Outpatient Pharmacy is located on the ground floor of Harrogate District Hospital close to the Outpatient reception desk. Hospital prescriptions can be dispensed while you wait or can be left and collected at a later time.
The Main Pharmacy is located on the first floor of Harrogate District Hospital in Fewston Wing. Outpatient prescriptions can be dispensed in the Main Pharmacy.
Pre-Registration Pharmacist Training Programme
At any one time, the Trust trains three pre-registration pharmacists. This is made up of:
- 2 placements undertaking a 12 month placement with HDFT (Application through Oriel)
- 1 placement for Bradford University undergraduates who are undertaking the sandwich programme (Application through Bradford University)
For further information/contact details please download the Pre-Registration Pharmacist Training Programme information leaflet.
The Pharmacy Department offers one week unpaid placements throughout the year, for students aged between 16-18 who are considering a career in pharmacy. For more information, please visit our work experience page.
- Electronic Medicines Compendium – provides PDF versions of the patient information leaflets (PILs) provided by pharmaceutical companies and found inside boxes of medications.
- X-PIL Online – provides access to large print and extra-large print on-screen versions of the patient information leaflets provided by pharmaceutical companies and found inside boxes of medications.
- Royal National Institute of Blind People Medication Leaflet Line: 0800 198 5000 – by calling this number you can listen to and/or request patient information leaflets in large print, braille or on audio CD. The number is free to use and open 24 hours, seven days a week.
- Medicines for Children – provides information leaflets with practical information on administering medicines to children, produced in partnership with doctors from the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH), Neonatal and Paediatric Pharmacists Group (NPPG) and the charity WellChild.
- Patient – provides information leaflets on medications as well as health and wellbeing.