Adult Placement is distinct from work experience and is available in both clinical and non-clinical departments. They provide valuable insight into the workings of an NHS Trust and support individuals that are:
- In employment and requiring shadowing experience to attain accreditations or skills
- Seeking employment opportunities and interested in a career in the NHS
The purpose of an Adult Placement includes:
- help to make informed career choices
- help gain experience with a view to employment
- help develop work related skills
- Support those who have been seeking work and would like to learn about careers the NHS.
- Gain skills for future employment in a health related industry
How to apply
- All applicants must complete the Adult Placement request form – click here to download the form, before a placement can be considered
- Placements must be arranged directly with the department in which the individual wishes to gain experience
- Healthcare and Medical students must follow the process set out below
To support the department managers please give at least 2 months’ notice before you intend to start your requested Adult Placement.
The Trust receives many applications for placements, but due to the size of our organisation, the number of opportunities we can offer is limited. We can usually offer placements for a maximum of ten working days although some departments are only able to offer placements for one day.
Alternative placement options
Career Enhancement Pathway
We are not currently offering work experience placements, but are instead offering educationally and professionally focused volunteering opportunities through the Career Enhancement Volunteering Pathway. These opportunities are offered to any person aged 16 and above who wishes to pursue educational and/or professional development through committing to one of #teamHDFT’s volunteering roles. To find out more please visit Career Enhancement Pathway or contact the Volunteer Team: [email protected]
If you are an undergraduate student, please find some information below on the available placements and who you should contact. If the department/specialty in which you have a specific interest is not listed, please contact the work experience coordinators at the Trust using the contact details listed below.
Our Pharmacy Department offers work experience to both undergraduates studying pharmacy and local school students who are interested in pursuing a career in pharmacy. Local school/college students should follow the process detailed above. Undergraduate students should visit our Pharmacy Department for more details on how to apply.
Health professional undergraduate courses
Students who are studying on undergraduate health professional programmes and are interested in undertaking elective placements at the Trust should contact the Practice Education Team on [email protected].
Medical students studying at either UK or overseas universities are able to apply for elective placements at the Trust.
Your application should include details of why you wish to apply for an elective placement with us, the department in which you’re interested, and the dates of your elective placement. Please send this, along with an up-to-date CV and an official letter from your university confirming that you’re a student, to:
Dr Simon Holbrook, Director of Medical Education
Harrogate District Hospital
Lancaster Park Road