We offer a range of services, including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, clinical psychology, paediatrician services, specialist nursing and autism assessment.
The Specialist Children’s Services Team has two Child Development Centres, and provides services from a range of locations:
Child Development Centre
Harrogate District Hospital
Lancaster Park Road
Child Development Centre
24 Brompton Road
DL6 1 EA
The Specialist Children’s Services Team often works with, or refers children to, a range of external organisations and charities. Many of these provide useful support networks and information to help children with difficulties or disabilities and their families. The following websites provide reliable information on a range of conditions:
- Afasic – a charity which helps young people with speech and language difficulties and their families. The website has a message board where you can chat to other families, and provides free download sheets on a range of diagnoses.
- British Stammering Association – a first point of contact for information and support on stammering and stuttering.
- Contact a Family – this UK charity is for families with disabled children. It offers information on specific conditions and rare disorders. There is information for adults, teenagers, school children, children under five years old, parents, friends and employers.
- Down Syndrome Education International – this leading charity raises levels of educational achievement among children with Down’s Syndrome.
- I CAN – a children’s communication charity working to support children with communication difficulties.
- Makaton – information on Makaton signing, resources and training, as well as a forum for Makaton users to share their experiences.
- National Autistic Society – the leading charity for people with autism.
- Speech Teach UK – providing speech therapy resources for parents and professionals supporting children with speech, language and learning difficulties.
- Talk To Your Baby – this Literacy Trust initiative contains free, downloadable parent information leaflets about early interaction.
- Talking Point –for parents of children with communication difficulties and professionals working with them.
- Targets and Activities Project (TAP) – TAP was designed to support educational staff working with children with communication difficulties. The site provides activity sheets for working with children at a variety of different levels and across a variety of curriculum and skill area
- The Communication Trust – this coalition of 50 voluntary and community organisations with expertise in speech, language and communication provides films to help parents encourage their children’s communicative development.
- The Dyspraxia Foundation – supports individuals and families affected by developmental dyspraxia. Offers a teen newsletter and an adult support group.
- Unique – information and support for people and families with a rare chromosome disorder.