We see children in the Harrogate, Hambleton & Richmondshire area with health and development issues which impact on their education.
We carry out medical assessments of children with Special Educational Needs, as requested by the education authority. These reports aid decision making about entitlement and provision of resources to meet their needs.
We contribute specialist expertise to the autism assessment process.
We carry out health assessments for Looked After children as requested by Social Care. These are detailed assessments of the health and wellbeing of children which help ensure their health needs are met while in the care of the Local Authority.
Online and telephone resources offering support for children, young people and their families:
- Contact – for families with disabled children | Contact– this UK charity is for families with disabled children. It offers information on specific conditions and rare disorders. There is information for adults, teenagers, school children, children under five years old, parents, friends and employers.
- Cerebra – Working with you and your amazing child – a charity for families of children with a brain condition.
- Down Syndrome Education International (down-syndrome.org) – this leading charity raises levels of educational achievement among children with Downs Syndrome.
- Unique | Understanding Rare Chromosome and Gene Disorders – information and support for people and families with a rare chromosome disorder.
- Home | SWAN UK (undiagnosed.org.uk) support for children with undiagnosed conditions.
- National Autistic Society (autism.org.uk) – the leading charity for people with autism.
- Home (dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk) – supports individuals and families affected by developmental dyspraxia. Offers a teen newsletter and an adult support group.
Help for parents, carers and families:
- Emotional support for families | Disability charity Scope UK
- SEND Local Offer | North Yorkshire County Council – Support for families who have a child with additional Needs in north Yorkshire
- SENDIASS – Support for families whose children have special educational needs in North Yorkshire
- Children – The Sleep Charity – Information and practical tips to support sleep in children.
- North Yorkshire Sleep Clinic leaflet
- Parents | HENRY – provides free support for parents of young children.
- Special Needs Jungle – News, info, resources & informed opinion about Special Educational Needs, disability, children’s physical and mental health, rare disease. Campaigning to #FixSEND – a parent-led website for those with children who have additional needs.
- About us – Carers UK– Guidance for carers.
- Support for Young and Adult Carers – Carers’ Resource – local support for carers.
- Support for parents | NSPCC – website has specific advice section to support parents, also to advise on children’s mental health issues, plus a guide to positive parentingwhich can be downloaded.
- Homepage for the Challenging Behaviour Foundation
- How to deal with challenging behaviour in children – NHS (www.nhs.uk)
- Family Links | Emotional Health Training– website includes helpful parentzone with brief but helpful tip sheets to manage emotional health including behavioural difficulties in children.
- Parenting and Family Support – Family Lives (Parentline Plus) | Family Lives – a wide range of short videos full of advice and tips to help manage challenging behaviour. There is also a confidential helpline offering emotional support, advice and guidance and advice on parent and family life: 0808 800 2222
- Raising Children Network
Emotional wellbeing and mental health:
- The Happy Child App – Parenting App (humanimprovement.org)
- Improving children’s mental health in schools – Place2Be – Guide to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing.
- Kooth for Children & Young People – Kooth plc – free, safe and anonymous online emotional support for young people.
- The Go-To – Emotional wellbeing and mental health (thegoto.org.uk) – NHS mental health resources for young people.
- YoungMinds | Mental Health Charity For Children And Young People | YoungMinds – Talking to your child about their mental health and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing
- North Yorkshire (Compass Phoenix) (formerly BUZZ and REACH) – Compass (compass-uk.org) – online support for children’s/young person’s mental wellbeing / confidential text messaging service.
- Recovery College Online – provides information, online courses and mental health support
Healthy lifestyle; activity and weight management through lifestyle support
- Healthy Families – a new family weight management service.
- Healthy Families Postcard – a free 12 session programme to support children and young people aged 4-19 years to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Active Health Referral Form.
- Home – ERIC – the children’s bowel and bladder charity.
- Home – The Sleep Charity – tips and advice for children and families in managing sleep issues
- Sleep Advice Service – Cerebra – provides A Sleep Guide for Parents, aimed primarily at families of children with additional needs (from ‘Cerebra’ charity) and Sleep Cards (short one-sided cards with specific sleep tips) – free downloads. Cerebra also run a Sleep Advice Serviceby telephone/email and will send a free sleep tips booklet on request.