Our three consultant endocrinologists work closely with surgeons from Harrogate and York to evaluate and manage patients with thyroid nodules (lumps), parathyroid gland enlargement and adrenal nodules/tumours. Patients with pituitary disease, such as acromegaly and Cushing’s disease, are investigated in Harrogate before being referred on to the Endocrinology Team in Leeds for further management. This usually includes surgery. Patients with thyroid cancer are looked after jointly by the Endocrinology Team in Harrogate and the Oncology Team in Leeds.
We run a dedicated endocrinology clinic each week, which is attended by all three consultants. In addition to this clinic, Dr Hammond and Dr Maguire have general clinics where patients with endocrinology problems are seen. Dr Hammond and Dr Ray run an antenatal clinic with the obstetricians for pregnant women with endocrine disease. Dr Hammond is the endocrinology lead for the regional gender identity service in Leeds, and has a monthly clinic in Harrogate for transgender patients.
The common conditions seen in the endocrinology clinic are:
- Hyperthyroidism (overactivity of the thyroid gland)
- Hypothyroidism (underactivitiy of the thyroid gland)
- Thyroid gland enlargement (goitre/nodule)
- Addison’s disease (adrenal gland underactivity)
- Adrenal gland enlargement (nodules)
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia (a common genetic abnormality of the adrenal glands)
- Pituitary gland disease (these include acromegaly which is an excess of growth hormone, Cushing’s disease which is an excess of steroid hormone, and prolactinoma)
- Testosterone deficiency
- Absent or irregular periods (due to problems such as polycystic ovary syndrome and premature menopause)
- Hypoglycaemia (low glucose levels)
- Hypercalcaemia (elevated calcium levels due to problems such as hyperparathyroidism)
- Hypocalcaemia (low calcium levels due to problems such as vitamin D deficiency)
- Osteoporosis (bone thinning which increases the risk of fracture)
- Paget’s disease (a disease of abnormal bone turnover)
The Endocrinology Department is located in the Diabetes Resource Centre on the first floor of Harrogate District Hospital.
Referral to the service is via your GP or hospital specialists.
- British Thyroid Foundation – the local branch can be found on 2nd floor, 3 Devonshire Place, Harrogate, HG1 4AA.