Antenatal education is an important and valued element of our maternity services at Harrogate District NHS Foundation Trust. Preparation for birth can positively impact birth outcomes and experiences, enhancing the transition to parenthood.
Parent Education Classes
We offer midwife-led educational and preparation classes for parents. We welcome and encourage birth partners to attend; however, due to space restrictions we ask that this is limited to one birth partner per woman.
Our Parent Craft classes are run on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 7pm-9pm. The classes are held over three consecutive weeks and they take place in the Antenatal Clinic, Ground Floor, Strayside Wing, Harrogate District Hospital. Although you can attend antenatal classes at any time during your pregnancy, we recommend that it is best to attend between 28-36 weeks.
Saturday Workshops are also available at both Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital.
Due to the popularity of our classes, we recommend completing and returning your booking form as soon as you are able to. You will receive this booking form at your first appointment with your midwife. Once you have returned your booking form, you will receive a letter confirming the dates of your classes; this will be posted to you following your 20 week scan.
Our classes aim to be informative, fun and interactive. We also believe that the social element of classes is very important and we hope that it will provide the perfect opportunity for you to meet other local parents-to-be.
Our Active Birth Classes discuss the stages of labour, and how you can manage both at home and in hospital:
- Learn about key hormones and how your birthing body works
- Find out more about the benefits of remaining upright and active in labour
- Discover the benefits of massage, relaxation and the use of warm water
- Explore your expectations about labour and discuss the role of the birth partner
Pain Relief & When Nature Needs a Hand
- Discover more about your pain relief options both at home and in hospital
- This course also aims to offer you information for the times when nature may need a hand, for example learn about the induction of labour and assisted births
Meeting Your Baby & The Early Days
Discover what to expect from your new baby and how to care for him or her:
- Find out all about attachment and bonding, and how this affects your baby’s development
- Learn about the importance of Breastfeeding
- Receive practical advice including bathing your baby, feeding, winding and keeping your baby safe
- Explore how relationships may change during the transition to parenthood
Our Saturday Workshop incorporates the above three classes into one day. The workshop takes place from 9.30am-3.30pm with a break for lunch (not provided). The Saturday Workshop is available at both Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital.
Antenatal Breastfeeding Workshop
We facilitate a Breastfeeding Workshop for all mums between 26-28 weeks gestation. In small, interactive, midwife-led groups, learn all about breastfeeding your baby, including practical advice on position & attachment. Sessions will be held at Harrogate Town Children’s Centre on alternate Fridays, 10-11am, with an opportunity for further discussion and questions following.
For details of dates available and to book a place on the Breastfeeding Workshop, please contact the Children’s Centre on 01609 535753.
Parent Education Midwife: Emma Field
Infant Feeding Coordinator: Jo Orgles
Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org