Please note this service is currently suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic. We are currently reviewing this. Please check our Maternity Facebook page (https://en-gb.facebook.com/Harrogatematernity/) for regular updates or discuss with your community midwife.
Antenatal education is an important and valued element of our maternity services at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust. Preparation for birth can positively impact birth outcomes and experiences, enhancing the transition to parenthood.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic we currently have our Parent Education video classes online.
Parent Education Classes
We offer midwife-led educational and preparation classes for parents. We welcome and encourage birth partners to attend; however, due to space restrictions we ask that this is limited to one birth partner per woman.
Our Antenatal Classes run on Monday and Thursday evenings, 7pm-9pm. The classes are held over three consecutive weeks and they take place in the Antenatal Clinic, Ground Floor, Strayside Wing, Harrogate District Hospital. Although you can attend antenatal classes at any time during your pregnancy, we recommend that it is best to attend between 28-36 weeks.
There are two workshops a month at Harrogate District Hospital, and one in alternate months at Ripon Community Hospital.
Saturday Workshops are also available at both Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital.
Due to the popularity of our classes, we recommend completing and returning your booking form as soon as you are able to. You will receive this booking form at your first appointment with your midwife. Once you have returned your booking form, you will receive a letter confirming the dates of your classes; this will be posted to you following your 20 week scan.
Our classes aim to be informative, fun and interactive. We also believe that the social element of classes is very important and we hope that it will provide the perfect opportunity for you to meet other local parents-to-be.
Our Active Birth Classes discuss the stages of labour, and how you can manage both at home and in hospital:
- Learn about key hormones and how your birthing body works
- Find out more about the benefits of remaining upright and active in labour
- Discover the benefits of massage, relaxation and the use of warm water
- Explore your expectations about labour and discuss the role of the birth partner
Pain Relief & When Nature Needs a Hand
- Discover more about your pain relief options both at home and in hospital
- This course also aims to offer you information for the times when nature may need a hand, for example learn about the induction of labour and assisted births
Meeting Your Baby & The Early Days
Discover what to expect from your new baby and how to care for him or her:
- Find out all about attachment and bonding, and how this affects your baby’s development
- Learn about the importance of Breastfeeding
- Receive practical advice including bathing your baby, feeding, winding and keeping your baby safe
- Explore how relationships may change during the transition to parenthood
Our Saturday Workshop incorporates the above three classes into one day. The workshop takes place from 9.30am-4pm with a break for lunch (not provided). The Saturday Workshop is available at both Harrogate District Hospital and Ripon Community Hospital.
Antenatal Breastfeeding Workshop
Breastfeeding workshops are available at any point in pregnancy to suit you. Please feel free to attend with your partner or a family member or friend so that they may learn to support you and your baby. The workshops are held on one Tuesday (6-8pm) and one Wednesday (7-9pm) a month. Women only classes are available from Ripon Community Hospital once a month on a Friday. To book please call in office hours or 01423 553051 or e mail [email protected].
Parent Education Midwife: Rachel Robson
Infant Feeding Coordinator: Jo Orgles
Email us: [email protected]