Membership of the Trust gives you the opportunity to contribute to how we run Harrogate District Hospital as well as our community services across North Yorkshire and beyond. At the same time, you can learn more about key health issues and the NHS. It is important that we stay in touch with what people want from our services and you can be involved in helping to improve and shape the future of these services. As a member of the Trust, your views are represented through the Council of Governors. You may even consider becoming a Governor yourself.
Who can become a member?
We offer two different types of membership: public and staff.
Public members must:
- Be 16 years of age and over
- Live in our catchment area, which covers seven public geographical constituencies:
- Harrogate and surrounding villages
- Ripon and west district
- Knaresborough and east district
- Wetherby and Harewood, including Otley and Yeadon, Adel and Wharfedle and Alwoodley wards
- The rest of North Yorkshire and York
- The rest of England – North
- The rest of England – South
If you do not meet these criteria, you are not eligible to become a member. However, we would still like you to join us as an affiliate so that we can inform you about developments at Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust. Please contact us for further information.
If you are unsure whether or not you are geographically eligible to become a member, please check our map or contact the Foundation Trust Office.
Staff members must:
- Be employees of Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
- Hold a permanent contact of employment or have a fixed term contract of at least 12 months.
Staff who meet these criteria automatically become a member unless they wish to opt out, and therefore do not need to complete an application form to join.
The staff constituency is divided into six classes:
- Medical practitioners
- Nursing, midwifery and AHPs (Allied Health Professionals)
- 0-19 services
- Community services
- Other clinical
How do I join?
Becoming a member of the Trust is completely free and easy!
You can sign up through our online form. Alternatively, please contact us using one of the methods in the “Contact us” section below.
You might want to encourage your friends and family to sign up as well!
If you have communication needs, please ask a carer or friend to contact us on your behalf so we can assist you.
What do I receive when I join as a member?
- A welcome letter from your elected Governor(s)
- If you have not completed the online form, you will be sent a questionnaire to tell us about your interests – we can then invite you to any relevant events and you may be asked to get involved in any service improvements in your areas of interest (please note this has been on hold during COVID-19 and we are looking to restart this soon)
- Regular updates and news on how the Trust is doing
- Benefit from discounts on many products and services with the Health Service Discounts scheme
- The opportunity to vote in our Governor elections
- The chance to watch the Governors in action at any of the Council of Governors’ meetings held in public as they discuss the work going on at the Trust
- An invitation to attend the Annual Members’ Meeting where you can hear about what the Council of Governors have been doing on your behalf and give feedback on our services
The Foundation Trust Team is available to answer any questions you may have about membership.
Alternatively, you can write to:
Foundation Trust Office
Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust
Harrogate District Hospital
Lancaster Park Road