Macmillan Urology Nurse Specialist Team
Our nurse specialists have experience in cancer nursing and specialise in the care and support of patients with a urological disease and their families and carers.
The Team comprises two clinical nurse specialists who work closely with the urology consultants involved in the patient’s care.
They support patients with a urological cancer from diagnosis through treatment and beyond. This includes:
- An opportunity to discuss and further explain information already given by the urology doctors;
- Further information about the type of urology cancer and treatment options available;
- Information about the support available, whether that be physical, emotional, spiritual or social;
- Specialist nursing advice throughout the patient’s care;
- A link with other professionals involved in the patient’s care.
If patients require radiotherapy treatment or surgery to remove their prostate or bladder, this will take place at St James’ University Hospital in Leeds. Patients with a testicular or penile cancer following their diagnosis will be referred to a specialist in Leeds to discuss any further treatment and follow-up care.
The urology nurse specialists work as part of the multi-disciplinary team (MDT), working closely with consultants and other healthcare professionals from Harrogate District Hospital and St James’ University Hospital.
Patients are generally referred to our service by hospital staff. However patients can also self-refer.
Macmillan Urology Nurse Specialists: Alison Marchant and Helen Sunderland