Macmillan Urology Nurse Specialist Team
Our nurse specialists have experience in cancer nursing and specialise in the care and support of patients with a urological disease and their families and carers.
The Team is comprised of four clinical nurse specialists and a cancer care co-ordinator who work closely with the urology consultants involved in the patient’s care.
The team support patients with a urological cancer from diagnosis through treatment and beyond. This includes:
- An opportunity to discuss and further explain diagnosis and treatment options available
- Information about the support available, whether that be physical, emotional, spiritual or social;
- Specialist nursing advice throughout the patient’s care;
- A link with other professionals involved in the patient’s care.
If patients require radiotherapy treatment or surgery to remove their prostate or bladder, this will take place at St James’ University Hospital in Leeds. Patients with a testicular or penile cancer following their diagnosis will be referred to a specialist in Leeds to discuss any further treatment and follow-up care.
The urology nurse specialists work as part of the multi-disciplinary team (MDT), working closely with consultants and other healthcare professionals from Harrogate District Hospital and St James’ University Hospital.
Patients are generally referred to our service by hospital staff. However, patients can also self-refer.
Lead Macmillan Urology Nurse Specialist: Helen Outhwaite
Macmillan Urology Nurse Specialists: Helen Sunderland, Jessica Cook and Carol Lawrence.
Macmillan Cancer Care Co-ordinator: Alison Hornshaw
Useful links and support groups
- Prostate Cancer UK
- Prosper Harrogate – The Starbeck Methodist Church, 93 High St, Harrogate HG2 7LH where we meet in the Wharfedale Room on the last Thursday of each month (except December) from 7:00pm through 9:00pm. The most up to date calendar is available on their website here.
- The British Association of Urological Surgeons